Monday, March 12, 2007

screen triptych (completed)

,
180cmx40cmx3
hot wax on thick tracing paper, water soluble dye.

I'm pleased with the restored and completed screen. Considering that I started with the bare wooden supports it has been a satisfying process, one that I want to develop. I thought that when I go somewhere new, I might look out for more screens like this, repaper them and paint onto the support. the effect of the light shining through the relative opacity and transparency/translucence is beautuful and engaging.
The proces was interesting in the way I had to tell myself over and over to 'keep going' and 'don't give up' I create or encounter probelms both technical and emotional. I think I am of an age now that I just doggedly keep going. It continues to be like the cooking experience.....one just can't give up on ones cooking 'creations'.
Yes it is clear that I am still working with this transpapency theme which I picked up nearly 9 months ago, with those early greaseproof paper samples. I think it's beautiful. One part of the process is that past a certain point ( second layer of dye) I loose touch with the overall shape/sense/idea of the image. By the time the final layer of dye goes on.....it is impossible to recall/visualize the whole.
I like that...always being prepared to be suprised!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home